Monday, June 27, 2016

Sweeping the Spiders Away


“But the thing that David had done displeased the Lord, and the Lord sent Nathan to David. He came to him, and said to him, “There were two men in a certain city, the one rich and the other poor. 2The rich man had very many flocks and herds; 3but the poor man had nothing but one little ewe lamb, which he had bought. He brought it up, and it grew up with him and with his children; it used to eat of his meager fare, and drink from his cup, and lie in his bosom, and it was like a daughter to him. 4Now there came a traveler to the rich man, and he was loath to take one of his own flock or herd to prepare for the wayfarer who had come to him, but he took the poor man’s lamb, and prepared that for the guest who had come to him.” 5Then David’s anger was greatly kindled against the man. He said to Nathan, “As the Lord lives, the man who has done this deserves to die; 6he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.” 7Nathan said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: I anointed you king over Israel, and I rescued you from the hand of Saul; 8I gave you your master’s house, and your master’s wives into your bosom, and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added as much more. 9Why have you despised the word of the Lord, to do what is evil in his sight?” [2 Samuel 11:27b-12:9a]
Chances are, our day to day sins are not quite so melodramatic as David’s.  But we still have the same need to face what we have done as we receive forgiveness for our mess-ups.  When I wrong you, I need to know it—not so that I will suffer a certain amount and thereby earn a second chance—but because when you forgive me, I will not appreciate the gift of your grace to me unless I realize what you are wiping away off of my back.  If you keep trying to pretend there is no spider because you are afraid it will make me squirm to know it is there, it doesn’t make the spider go away.  What I need is for you to be honest with me, and to say to me, “Steve, you screwed up.  This hurt me.  This didn’t work…. Those words were cutting rather than curing… that action was self-centered and rude...”  or whatever else I’ve done.  I need to know that if I am going to understand the depth of your grace when you forgive me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment