Sunday, June 7, 2020

Where the Wound Is--June 8, 2020


Where the Wound Is--June 8, 2020

"But God has so arranged the body, giving the greater honor to the members that are lacking, that there may be no dissension in the body, but the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it.  Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it." [1 Corinthians 12:24b-27]

Look, I'm not gonna lie to you--we have a lot of "owwies" in our household.  

You know, boo-boos, bumps, bruises, scrapes, rug-burn, road-rash, and a mess of other small injuries. (Yes, I am a part of that high tally of injuries, just due to my own clumsiness, but we do have two primary-grade aged kids who are always running, jumping, rolling, biking, and climbing things.  So that means we have to keep a pretty sizable stock of stick-on bandages--with characters ranging from Star Wars to Toy Story to Disney's Frozen--at all times.

We are also in the phase (my goodness, I hope it is just a phase) where it is tempting for said children to treat these cartoon-covered adhesive bandages as fashion accessories. That means I have to be pretty vigilant with my daughter to make sure that she doesn't put on three or four band-aids all over her body for a single scrape on her knee.  And I have to make sure my son doesn't try and go through our whole box opening bandages until he gets his favorite character.  This is an ongoing issue we are working on in our house.

But the refrain that I keep telling my kids over and over again, whether it's a skinned-knee or a scratched elbow, is this:  the bandage is for the part that is hurting.  Makes sense, right?  Seems obvious, right?  Whatever the means of daddy-administered first aid might be, from C-3PO band-aids to ice packs to the timeless remedy of the boo-boo kiss, you apply it to the part that's injured, and that makes the whole body feel better soon enough.  That's not just a matter of not going broke to pay for bandages, but it's really just basic biology: you don't need to put the bandage on the part that isn't injured, because the bandage isn't meant to be a prize or a fashion accessory, but a help for what hurts.  

My kids have to learn that still, but grown-ups should get it: putting a band-aid on the scraped knee isn't meant to be a slight or disrespect to your elbow or your earlobe.  It's just that the hurt is on the knee, and so that's where the attention goes for the moment.  As long as your earlobe and elbow aren't also bleeding (and if they are, how did THAT happen?), you just need the one bandage, and you put it where the cut is.  That's just how we are made.

Paul sees that, too.  That's part of why the apostle found the imagery of the human body to be such a handy way of thinking about our life together in community.  And the metaphor has a couple of important points to it: first off, we are all connected to each other.  To be a Christian is to be in community; it is a contradiction in terms to imagine that you can be a follower of Jesus without being drawn into relationship with others.  There may be many in your circle, or just a few; you may relate to them face-to-face, or, as so many of us learned to do this spring, you may be connected through remote means like phone, letters, or the internet.  But we are all inseparably connected to each other.  

And as Paul sees it, that means that when one part of the body hurts, we all hurt.  Just like in my body--when my daughter comes to me in tears because she's taken a tumble off her scooter, she is usually a hot mess of tears, and it takes a little while to see what part of her body is hurting, because in that moment, it's all hurting.  In Christian community, we don't have the option of ignoring someone else's suffering because, "Hey, it's not my fault, and it's not my problem."  We belong to each other, and so when someone else tells me they are hurting, I don't get to say, "Well, I'm not in any pain, so you much be fine."  Just the opposite--we are called to show up and share the pains of others, because we are all part of something bigger than any one of us individually.  And so just because things are feeling fine to me doesn't mean that someone else in the body of which I am a part isn't also suffering.

That's an important learning for me, day by day: you know what?  It just isn't all about "me."  If I am comfortable and unbothered, good for me--but if someone else tells me they are suffering, I don't get to ignore that because it doesn't affect me directly.  And I don't have to make a big deal needing to get attention for myself when someone else gets the attention they need for what they are suffering.  The band-aid--Star Wars logo or otherwise--goes on the part that is hurting; the rest of the body doesn't need to be covered in them.

And that leads to the second learning to get from this community-as-body metaphor.  When you help the part that is hurting specifically, the whole body starts to feel better.  When I have a headache, a couple of ibuprofen will help relieve the pain there... and before long I notice my temper isn't so touchy, and my whole demeanor improves.  When you've got a knee or hip that's hurting, you get the help needed for that part of the body, and watch how your posture improves, your energy levels rise, and probably your amount of exercise increase because it won't hurt so much anymore to move the joint.  

And it is the same in our life in community, too.  In normal (non-pandemic) times, I may go to the hospital to see someone who is sick, and everyone else in the congregation understands that's where I need to spend my time.  I don't get messages on the church machine from perfectly healthy folks saying, "I hear you visited Mr. Smith today before his surgery--well, what about me?"  People know that you spend the time and energy where the hurt is.  And when someone from the congregation makes a pot of soup and brings Tupperware containers of it to the church members who are either alone or not as able to cook for themselves, they don't get berated by other church-folks who are perfectly able to cook their own soup demanding a bowl of beef vegetable, too.  This is so obvious that it doesn't need to be explained in ordinary church life, or in your family, or among your neighbors.

So maybe we just need to take a moment to make the connections to other parts of our lives, too.  Because other community-as-body connections are everywhere.  And the same underlying idea applies: you put the bandage where the hurt is, and that makes the whole body more fully alive.  So, for example, in the wake of seeing so many local businesses hurting during the quarantine efforts of the last several months, it could be a really good idea to help those who are most at-risk by supporting local businesses, restaurants, and stores, rather than the super-giant chains that are doing just fine.  Or when farmers are going through an especially difficult time (which is a lot of the time, because, man, it's hard work being a farmer), we can make sure to support local farmers by our choices in where we buy our food from, or being willing to pay a little more to make sure you know you are helping neighbors who are in an especially difficult spot.  And the same is true right now with our black sisters and brothers who tell us they are hurting in a hundred different ways, dying the death of a thousand cuts, in the ways they are treated by others, from deaths like George Floyd's or Breonna Taylor's to being redlined out of buying a home, to being followed in stores and viewed with suspicion because of their skin.  If you or I haven't ever experienced those things, good for us!  I'm glad we've never had those particular kinds of suffering--but just because I've never had it happen to me doesn't mean that others are not hurting. That's why we hear the repeated refrain that "black lives matter"--not because others are not important, but because there is a part of the body that is hurting in a particular way. And if they are hurting, then that's where the band-aid goes.  You put the bandage where the wound is, so that the whole body can be brought fully to life and health again. The uninjured elbow doesn't need it, but the skinned knee does. It's not divisive to only put a band-aid where the cut is--that's exactly how you make the whole body feel well again.

If my kids can learn than about actual band-aids, so that they only apply first aid to the parts of their bodies that actually have been injured, maybe I can work on learning to do the same in the rest of my life.  Maybe I can start every day looking for who around me in this vast community called the body of Christ is hurting, and even if I'm not affected by the things that are hurting them, maybe I am being called to stand with them... to listen to them and trust what they have to say... and to help apply the bandage where the wound is, so that all of us may be made fully alive.

Maybe then we will discover grace at the places we heal each other, and, like the old Persian poet said, that the wound is where the light enters.

Lord God, open my eyes to the pain of others, even if it is not my own, so that in healing others, we may all be made whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment